MSRDC's Unique Funding Vehicle


Member institutions and our partners enjoy extensive and unique benefits through MSRDC's funding vehicle. Members are encouraged to use the funding vehicle as their own and to keep MSRDC updated on their progress toward an award. Our team is here to help and guide you along the way.

The Process

Non-Competed Awards

Members can directly negotiate research awards with federal partners without subjection to typical rules of competition of the Federal Acquisitions Regulation (FAR).

Research Options

The broad scope includes topics in any discipline with any federal agency engaged in basic and applied research as well as advanced technology development.

Skip the Line

Members can market their technical capabilities directly via white papers for funding consideration, allowing them to skip the traditional competitive award process.

Rapid Acquisition

Our members enjoy the ability to secure federal awards quickly with a record-to-date of 

less than 90 days.

Direct Oversight

Federal program managers are allowed direct oversight and communications privileges with our researchers and support staff.

No Blackout Periods

There's no communication blackout period, which permits continuous collaboration with the federal program manager to refine the Statement of Work.

The Process

Step 1: Contact MSRDC to discuss your ideas and how we can support you

Step 2: Build a relationship with the federal Program Manager

Step 3: Identify the problem that needs to be addressed

Step 4: Build a strong collaborative team to address the problem

Step 5: The federal Program Manager writes a Statement of Work (SOW)

Step 6: Government issues a Request for Proposal

Step 7: Submit an innovative technical solution in proposal format

Step 8: The government issues a Delivery Order

Step 9: The collaborative team begins the research project

Where can I use the Cooperative Agreement?

MSRDC's Cooperative Agreement (or the "CA") is eligible for use at any federal agency in the United States government. 

What types of research can I perform under the CA?

The CA states that our members are eligible for basic, applied and advanced research as well as advanced technology development. The federal government classifies this as 6.1 (basic research), 6.2 (applied research) and 6.3 (advanced technology) research. 

Does our institution/school have to be an existing member to use the CA?

Yes, however, the membership application is short and can be expedited if you are anticipating an award opportunity. If you are not a member institution, please contact us so we can discuss your application so you are able to quickly secure the award. To learn more, please visit our Membership page.

Is there a cost to use MSRDC's Cooperative Agreement?

There is no fee for members to use the Cooperative Agreement. 

Would the MSRDC administrative fee be in addition to university’s indirect rate?

Yes. The university’s indirect rate is included in the total proposed research project budget.  The MSRDC administrative fee is an additional percentage of the total proposed budget.

Can the MSRDC Cooperative Agreement (CA) be used by non-DoD agencies?

Yes, Consortium members can engage in negotiations with the government for funding from non-DoD entities to use the CA, provided it is for basic research, applied research or advanced technology development.

What's the difference between a CRADA and a Cooperative Agreement?

The single most important key difference is that a CRADA does NOT allow the transfer of money from the government to the university.  See the following from




a.  CRADAs are issued per Section 3710a of Title 15, U.S.C., and are written agreements between a private company and government agency working together on a project by using either federal laboratories or non-federal partner laboratories to achieve a specific goal.   


b.  The government provides laboratories, personnel, services, facilities, equipment, intellectual property or other resources “without funds” ($0.00).  The NFE funds the project, provides personnel services, facilities, equipment, intellectual property, or other resources toward the conduct of specified research or development efforts consistent with the laboratory mission.  Therefore, DCMA does not administer CRADAs.