Vice President & Chief Operating Officer
Since 2015, the MSI STEM Research & Development Consortium (MSRDC) has served as a strategic asset, solutions provider and research development partner to over 60 minority-serving research institutions, federal partners and private industry collaborators. The Consortium creates a teaming environment for its members and collaborative partners to promote innovation, commercialization and technology leadership through a combination of basic, applied, and/or advanced technology development research to pioneer groundbreaking solutions that drive innovation forward.
- 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization chartered in the District of Columbia
- Authorized by Section 252 of the FY10 National Defense Authorization Act (10 USC 2362)
- Programmatic focus: Promotion of research & development activities at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and Minority-Serving Institutions (MSIs) of Higher Education
- Established under Cooperative Agreement No. W911SR-14-2-0001
- Technical solutions provider to the Departments of Defense (DoD), Homeland Security (DHS), State (DOS), Transportation (DOT) and a growing list of other Federal agencies engaged in science and engineering research
About the Position
The incumbent must be technically astute, have a thorough understanding of Federal Government Contracting and a proven track record of profitably growing a research-oriented organization or business while evolving internal and customer/client facing processes using sound operational and technical process improvements. The COO is responsible for planning, organizing and enhancing internal operations processes to support MSRDC’s short-term and long-term growth goals.
- Responsibility for leading day-to-day operations of the organization and management of staff with a focus on program growth and sustainability.
- Works closely with the CEO and the leadership team to execute growth strategies, plans, processes, procedures, including resource requirements and provide executive leadership and input for strategic plan implementation.
- Manages the development and execution of an operating strategy including the establishment of policies that promote organizational culture, values and vision.
- Partners with business development teams to support capture and bid activities for new programs and participate in proposal development and pricing activities.
- Recommends comprehensive performance and growth goals for staff and consultants.
- Oversees the finance team to prepare and submit annual operational budgets and accurately reports to the CEO and Board of Directors on progress made and challenges encountered.
- Supervises all subordinate employees of MSRDC.
- Forecasts and administers the budget.
- Exercises full authority in making employee appointments, dismissals, and any other human resource changes.
- Master’s level degree in business, public administration, or related field
- 7+ Years of experience as an Executive and/or Senior Manager.
- 15+ Years of experience with government contracts, operations, or related role; or an equivalent combination of education/training and experience.
- Ability to manage multiple, complex projects and changing priorities.
- Expert knowledge of federal contracting and experience in contract management and associated Task Order projects.
- Strong leadership skills while working in a virtual environment.
- Ability to communicate and lead change and establish operational metrics for business performance improvement, revenue generation and sustainable financial growth.
- Experience with capture and proposal development for the federal government.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- This position is full-time with 100% telework. The candidate must reside in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Relocation will not be paid.
- MSRDC offers competitive benefits with a 401K, health, dental, vision and life insurance, paid vacation and sick, and other benefits.
MSRDC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state, or local law.