Chief Research Officer
About MSI STEM Research & Development Consortium
The MSI STEM Research & Development Consortium (MSRDC) is a 501c3 nonprofit with a membership of more than 70 minority-serving institutions of higher education, majority universities and private industry collaborative partners conducting basic and applied research as well as advanced technology development in a variety of scientific and engineering disciplines for both federal defense and civilian agencies. Since its inception in 2015 and with an initial list of milestones and successes, the Consortium is positioned to expand from an early-stage organization to a full-service research & development enterprise. We are an EOE with a diverse workforce.
About the Chief Research Officer
- Demonstrated commitment to the values and mission of MSRDC
- Oversee the cultivation, development, implementation, and growth of all research development activities to advance MSRDC’s impact and mission.
- Engage in relationship building activities with existing and potential sponsors to acquire resources in support of the MSRDC mission, including funded research awards, technical information sharing, public and private partnerships, etc.
- Identify sustainable funding streams and business models to fund the research development program and related activities.
- Establish evidence-based methodologies for engaging and advancing minority serving institutions’ (MSIs) full participation in federally funded, mission-critical research.
- Develop and implement an action plan for creating/upgrading research-related processes, workflows, and infrastructure that enable the identification and development of technically capable and competitive teams to secure federal research funding.
- Identify potential financial and operational issues related to research development and provide analysis of alternative courses of action.
- Assist with cultivating and promoting the evolving MSRDC brand and achievements to relevant communities to expand membership engagement and organization profile.
- Develop training modules and other outreach and development approaches to members pursuing government sponsored research projects.
- Create processes and forums to identify research priorities and capability gaps of current and potential government research agency sponsors and communicate to consortium members and collaborative partners.
- Educate members regarding techniques in marketing innovative research ideas and navigating the federal research procurement process.
- Coordinate meetings with MSRDC technical and scientific advisors to facilitate technical information sharing.
- Facilitate collaborations between consortium members and partners, private industry and government research personnel that yield innovative science and technical solutions.
- Be able to represent the consortium at symposia, conferences, and other relevant industry meetings.
- Collaborate with business development colleagues to support research award renewals and other revenue generation.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of program planning, organizational structure, GovCon market research, budgeting, project/program management, and administrative operations
- Demonstrated understanding of relevant federal regulations in government research contracting
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to convey technical information to a wide array of technical and non-technical audiences
- Extensive experience with MS Office applications, project management software(s), and financial/budgeting software(s)
- 8 years of progressive STEM/technical leadership experience in academia, nonprofit government, and/or private industry settings
Ph.D in science, engineering, technical, or other discipline germane to managing research activities